Saturday, August 9, 2014

Queen of Summer Time

Little Merbabe
It's crazy that it's already been 3 months since I got back from Europe. Mentally, I haven't completely come back yet. I find myself daydreaming about it a million times a day. It's also a bit of a drag coming back to your everyday life after going on an adventure. A week after I got home I was already super jealous of my friends going on vacation. Why can't I just go on all the vacations? Oh, yeah, because I'm an adult and being an adult SUCKSSS.

I have had some good times this summer, though. I got this adorable mermaid bikini and got to wear it to a waterpark. I hadn't been to a waterpark since I was 10 so I didn't really know what to expect but Michelle and I had a great time. We went to Big Surf in Tempe and after 3pm tickets were half price. I don't think I'd have the energy to go all the time, but it was fun. From an anthropological standpoint, it was very interesting as well. You see ALL KINDS of people at a waterpark and I love me some good people watching.


Sophie and Kiki
Another fun thing I did this summer was that I went to Phoenix Comic Con for the first time. I went as Kiki from "Kiki's Delivery Service" and was stoked by how many people knew who I was. I took pictures with people all day (so much that my friends were getting super annoyed by me being stopped every few minutes). I only went on Saturday but I feel like I got the full experience in that one day. I got to ride the light rail in full costume and look like an absolute freak to people who didn't know about Comic Con, I got to see John Barrowman and Nathan Fillion who were both really funny, I got to see TONS of great cosplayers, and I got to shop (I didn't actually buy anything but I do love a good browse). I'm already super excited about next year! I just need to narrow down which costume I want to put together...I've been wanting to get a Sailor Mars costume for a while since my hair is finally long enough but I really really don't want to wear heels all day. Maybe I'll go as Nausicaa. Who knows!


Michelle and I
Two weeks ago I went to an art show and that was cool. It's funny that as an artist, I never go to art shows. People ask me all the time if I ever show my work and I'm always like, "OH, YEAH! I SHOULD DO THAT!" and then I never do. I'm one of those artists who are more interested in making more work than showing existing work. It would probably do me some good to get some more local exposure but I'm just sooooo lazy about that stuff. I need a manager or an assistant. I'll just lock myself in my room and sew while I watch the X-files while some grunt goes out and shows my portfolio to galleries, haha. Anyway, my friend's bf was having a show at a venue called "Monarch" in downtown Phoenix so all of us girls went to show our support. Art shows are apparently also great places to people watch; they attract all sorts of weirdos (including me).



The Duce

I went dancing one last time at the beginning of the summer before it got crazy hot. We like to go dancing at The Duce but they don't have A/C so going in the summer months is no bueno. Even going in June it got a bit too hot for Mama.


#sarinotsorry
Recently, I went to a "Sari Party" at Sharleen's last month and that was a lot of fun too. Since I didn't have a sari I had to make do with a bed sheet, haha. Sharleen ordered Indian food for all of us and made these delicious drinks called "mango lassi". I watched my first Bollywood film and LOVED IT! It was called "Three Idiots" and it was SO GOOD! It had everything: comedy, drama, singing, dancing, and even a bit of horror. I don't think I've enjoyed a movie so much in a long time. RENT IT.

I probably did a lot more fun things this summer but these stand out the most in my memory. There's still a little over a month left but I'm pretty ready for fall. Halloween is so close I can almost taste it, haha :)

Next post I really am going to post some new art. Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment