Monday, March 9, 2015

Bangkok: Day 4


Thursday morning we were up before the sun. We walked to the BTS in the dark and then rode over to the bus station. On our walk there a bird flew into all the billions of telephone wires that are strung all over the city and got zapped. Poor bird.

Our bus left around 7:30am and OH MY GOSH! It was freezing cold inside this thing! We were dressed for the beach too so we froze our buns off the whole way. It was a pretty long bus ride to the coast but we chatted and looked at all the cool scenery along the way.


We got to the coast around 11:30am and would then take a ferry to the island. As soon as we got to the dock a lady told us we needed to get in line to pay a "national park fee" in order to get to the island. It was only like 6 bucks but we were still annoyed. The ride on the ferry was pretty exciting itself. The boat pulled up as close as it could to the dock but there was still a gap of about 3 or 4 feet that you had to walk over on a little wooden plank. I was in flip flops so I was certain I was going to fall in (I didn't). Once we were on the boat, the ride was really smooth. Tbh, I hadn't been on a boat since I was 10 years old. I love riding on them, though, I find boat rides very dreamy and romantic. While Michelle and I were sitting there this guy who was by himself asked if I could take his picture. I did but since the sun was behind him you couldn't see his face at all in the picture. I suggested he move to the back of the boat so the lighting would be better but he was like, "No, it's fine. I'll just edit them afterwards." Okaaay. I'd like to see the app that can add light where there wasn't any to begin with...


When we got to the island they hit us up for another 3 bucks for some other wacky entrance fee but we were so happy to finally be on the island that we didn't care. We managed to find our motel pretty easily, I think it was called Barbados Terrace. Once we checked in we went in search of food. I wound up getting pad thai (again) since we were on an island and my options were limited. After we'd eaten we went back to the room and relaxed a bit (and connected to their free wifi) before we headed down to the beach. When we finally made our way to the beach we totally freaked out. It was frikkin' paradise! I could not believe my eyes! The water was turquoise blue and was warm enough to just jump into. Our time on Koh Samed and swimming in the Gulf of Thailand was a time of pure joy for me. I remember telling Michelle over and over, "I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN!" or "I'M HAVING THE BEST TIME". It was a truly magical experience. We loved not having anything else on our itinerary besides swimming and eating. All afternoon we were just in and out of the water. While we were swimming we saw this brown thing floating in the water and I was convinced it was a manta ray but it turned out to only be seaweed, haha.


Once the sun started to set we decided to do some shopping (I bought a super cute little tie dye dress) and got a few snacks. Michelle got some fresh watermelon and pineapple--that she was kind enough to share with me--and I got some more mango sticky rice. SO GOOD! For dinner we went back to the beach; all the restaurants had set tables and cushions up right on the beach and everything was lit up with little fairy lights. For dinner I got fried tofu but it was the strangest tofu I'd ever had. It was the consistency of custard which is not my favorite consistency for food but I was starving so beggars can't be choosers. While we were eating a skinny little kitty cat came over to see if we had anything to share but I doubt she would've enjoyed my tofu so all I gave her were pets.


That night we slept like BABIES. I guess it was a combination of not getting enough sleep for the past few days, being on a bus for the majority of the day and swimming in the ocean for hours on end. We went to sleep around 9pm and didn't wake up til 7am the next morning! I wish I could swim in the ocean everyday and sleep like that. Normally, I don't sleep 8 hours all the way through so it was really amazing to be out like that for 10 hours straight.

In my next post I'll write about our last day at the beach aka paradise.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment