Wednesday, June 20, 2012

She's Leaving Home

In a little over a week I've turned into one of those people that chat up the cashier and hold up the line at stores. 

I always felt bad for those people back when I was the cashier. I'd think, "Doesn't this person have friends or family that they'd rather be chatting with than me?" Not once would I ever have thought, "Maybe this person just moved here and doesn't know anyone and is lonely." And not once would I ever have thought that I'd one day be one of those people. :/

Today I had to go to Wells Fargo to take some money out of my account and I don't know if any of you have noticed but Wells Fargo is now making their tellers chat with you whenever you come in. So the teller asked me what I was up to today and I said that I had just moved to the area from Phoenix and it just so happened that a friend of mine from Phoenix was in town so I was going to see her later. Then the teller next to him goes, "Phoenix! I'm from Phoenix!" I was like, "Oh, really? Wow, weird." He asked me what part I was from and I said Paradise Valley. He got super excited and goes, "I lived by Desert Ridge!" and I go, "That was my hang out!" HA! He then asked me when I got to Seattle and I said I'd been here for two weeks. He said that he'd been there for four and then goes, "It's COLD here!" I was like, "Uh, YAH! I know!" I introduced myself at that point since it was so refreshing to meet someone from back home who was in the same situation that I'm in. Small world. After that I went to the dollar store to pick up a few things. As I was checking out the cashier who was quite old looks at my reusable bag and goes, "Sprouts, eh? Is that a local market?" and I said, "No, it's only in Phoenix." Then he says, "I worked in a bookstore in Bellevue years ago and ever summer we'd get tons of people from Arizona and I'd complain about how 80 degrees was so hot and they'd tell me what a big baby I was." He was funny. But yeah, I've become a small-talk machine whenever I go out anywhere, which in a way is good for me because I've always been so bad at it. 

The point of this story is that I need to make some friends...and FAST. 

I'm hoping that when I find a job that I'll meet cool people through work. Some of my best friends are former co-workers. I just don't know what I want to do. Well, scratch that. I do know what I WANT to do. I want to draw and sew all day and then have people write me big fatty checks to do it. But until that day comes I need to figure out what I can tolerate doing in the meantime. 

Hopefully I'll find something before I run out of money :/

My parents are already ready for me to come back home. Everyday I'm hearing, "Courtney, things just didn't work out in Seattle. Come back home and move back in with us and you can just work on your art all day and everything will be great." I know my parents just miss me but they're not helping at all. They could at least try to be supportive. I'd like to live here a year at the bare minimum before I'd even consider going back to Phoenix. I think it takes that long to get used to any new city. Anywhere I'd go I'd feel the same way I do now. I could be living in Hawaii and I'd still feel lonely and uncomfortable because it would be different. I feel like I have to at least try this and give it a go before I throw in the towel. Hell, I've only been here a week and a half! It'll get better and I'll get used to the crazy driving situation here eventually. I just have to try as hard as I can to not take everything too seriously and try to have some fun. 

Alrighty, I better get back to craftin'.

Laters!


No comments:

Post a Comment