Thursday, June 28, 2012

When in doubt,craft

I'm happy to tell you that since my last post I have had one interview! I think that's pretty good, for me at least. In Portland I don't think I had my first interview until I'd been there about 5-6 weeks. So 3 weeks is a new record for me!

I woke up 3 days ago with the usual post-wake-up thought, "What the heck am I gonna do?" Since I am very fond of the crafting, I thought I'd look up art and craft stores near Bellevue (I plan on moving to the east side of Lake Washington at the end of August). The first place I called was a fabric store and they weren't hiring but I could "always fill out an application". Yeah, right. Like, I'm going to drive an hour round trip for a place that's not hiring. I mean, I'm not stooooopid. However, the next place I called was more promising. I asked the woman who answered if they had any positions available and it turned out that they did. This particular store caught my fancy because not only was it an art/framing store but it was also a toy store (and I just so happen to have a background in both areas). So she tells me that they were looking for an assistant manager for the toy/gift department. Perfect! She then asked me to tell her about myself and my experience. I told her that I recently acquired my BA in Fine Art from ASU but that I also had 3 years experience in the toy business. She said that it sounded like I was just what they were looking for and then asked me if I could come in that day. I was in my jammie jams at the time but figured I could spruce myself up in an hour or so. I think I cleaned up ok.

Interview Style Courtney

I was a bit worried about being late since I hadn't been to Bellevue yet and was pretty certain I'd get lost at some point so I left an hour early. The drive there was quite lovely since I got to drive across Lake Washington (which is massive btw) and also through this rad tunnel. My interview lasted over an hour and I think it went really well. The general manager called me yesterday and told me there was one other candidate who was being considered as well but she'd call me as soon as my background check cleared. The job sounded like a lot of responsibility but I think I'm up for the challenge. I haven't been in a leadership position for 3 years and could use the experience. Being assertive is definitely an area I need to work on so maybe this job could help me grow in that department. 

And if I don't get the job, c'est la vie. I'm not going to get too upset about it. Another job will come along. I'm just hoping to find something that won't leave me too mentally drained at the end of the day so I can come home and work on art. Speaking of art, I've been a busy little bee lately. I've completed 2 hoops and have 2 in progress. Here's a peek!

"Frankenkitty"
fabric, felt and embroidery floss
6 inches

"Happy Sloth"
fabric, felt, embroidery floss
7 inches

Both hoops are currently up for grabs in my Etsy shop www.iggystarpup.etsy.com if you'd fancy one on your wall. I personally think that Kristen Bell should buy the sloth hoop :) I also sold a Pokemon pin this past week that got to go all the way to New Zealand. Apparently, you can go to New Zealand for $3.00 if you weigh 1lb or less. That's a smokin' deal!

So anyway, things are going well in the Pacific Northwest and I think they'll continue to get better as time passes. I'm very lucky to have so many lovely folks back home to talk to/email/text whenever I'm feeling lonesome. I still wish I could have brought them all with me. But I guess you can't have it all.

Cross your fingers that Mama gets a job soon or she might be seeing all of those lovely folks back home sooner than she anticipated!

Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment