Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Copenhagen: Part I

Photo by Melissa
The next day we were up before the dawn and power-walked to the U-baun. I was so ready to get on that plane and leave Berlin in the dust. The difference between Berlin and Copenhagen was like night and day. Our first impression of CPH was "OMG! It's frikkin' adorable!" The houses were all super charming and everyone's yards were full of flowers. On top of that, everyone we encountered was so NICE. I had always heard that Copenhagen was the World's Happiest City and now I know why. This city is so dreamy and we just felt comfortable, relaxed, and safe from the moment we got off the train.

Our adorable little kitchen
I had contacted our Airbnb host a week before I left for Europe just so I could get better directions to the flat (Google Maps directions were too vague) and not only did he give us excellent directions he said that since his family would be on holiday for the duration of our stay that we had access to the entire house! I had only booked for the loft, which had 2 beds and a bathroom and had only paid $66 USD a night so to get to use the entire house for the same price was unbelievable! We had no trouble finding the house...finding the key was a different story. He had hidden it under a wood pile and after a brief freak out we managed to find it. When we walked into the house we could NOT believe our good luck. This was the most adorable house I'd ever seen in real life. It was like an Ikea showroom and it was all ours for 3 glorious days! When I made a pitstop in the loo I noticed the floors were...wait for it--HEATED! I screamed to Melissa, "You gotta get in here!!!" We were so impressed by the Danish and we hadn't even left the house yet!

We took at little snooze since it was only about 10am by then and it was the best nap ever. We woke up so refreshed after the bad luck in Berlin. Since we hadn't really eaten yet we hopped on the train and went in search of food. In the city center there were tons of yummy things but I decided on a giant veggie sandwich. There was a boy working at the sandwich shop who was absolutely precious. I wish we could've taken him with us. After lunch we just walked around a bit and soaked up the atmosphere. Eventually we made our way over to see the Little Mermaid. It was so cute! I loved it so much that I bought a little figurine.

The Little Mermaid
We got back to the apartment around dusk (the walk to the Little Mermaid turned out to be a pretty long walk). On the way back, though, we stopped at a local supermarket and picked up some dinner things. We also bought a chocolate cake and whipped cream that really hit the spot. It was only 30DKK and lasted the whole time we were in Denmark. I think Melissa made risotto that night with mixed vegetables (such an angel). I took a bath that night since we had this lovely giant bathtub that looked awful lonesome. I never take baths at home since I feel bad about wasting water in the desert so this was a nice treat and a great way to end the day. We had bought mud masks while we were in Germany so we used those that night too and had a mini spa night.

Photo by Melissa
The next day we'd be going to a famous Danish tourist attraction, Tivoli, so we turned in pretty early. Melissa had never been to an amusement park so we were pretty excited. I'll tell you all about our day of fun at Tivoli in my next post.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment