Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Copenhagen: Part II (Tivoli)

Our second day in Copenhagen was an extra special day because we actually had something planned instead of just wandering around. On this day we'd be visiting Tivoli Gardens, one of Denmark's leading tourist attractions. Tivoli is the second oldest amusement park in the world dating all the way back to 1843 and was an inspiration for Walt Disney to open his own amusement park, Disneyland. While planning our trip I found out that Melissa had never been to an amusement park before so I thought this would be a great place for us to visit.

When we got to the park you had an option between buying a pack of tickets or getting an all-day pass but since we didn't have any other plans for the day we decided to get the unlimited pass. The first ride we went on was "The Mine" and you sat in a cart and had a laser gun to shoot at the gem stones that matched the color of your laser. Since I've been playing video games my entire life my hand-to-eye coordination is pretty pretty pretty good so I hit the most gem stones ;)
The next ride was a little roller coaster called Rutschebanon (translation: the roller coaster). This would be Melissa's first real roller coaster so I didn't know how it was going to go. Would she hate it? Would she barf? Luckily, she liked it. Her body's reaction to her first roller coaster was so cute; she started crying and laughing! It was adorable! That ride was pretty tame though, I think it only went about 30 mph so the real test would be this monster in the China Town portion of the park, The Demon. This thing went upside down about 4 times and reached 50 mph. To be honest, I was kind of worried I might barf on this one myself! They didn't allow any purses or personal items on this ride so we got a locker and dumped our stuff off first. The Demon turned out to be our favorite ride! We even went on it a second time a few hours later.

The next ride we went on was The Golden Tower. It slowly pulls you up the tower and you get an amazing view of Copenhagen. We could see everything but it was kind of hard to enjoy the view when you knew you were going to be dropped at any second. I kind of lost my shiz when it dropped us to tell the truth. My stomach went hurdling up into my chest and I could not stop screaming until we came to a stop. I kept telling my brain to stop but it was just a natural reaction to plummeting 400 ft. I guess. Once we got off we were both laughing like maniacs and we walked over to the ride adjacent to the tower. This ride was called Vertigo and it was totally BANANAS. I don't know what even possessed us to go on. It was a looping plane ride and you could choose to go either straight or backwards. We were pretty intimidated with this one so we asked the dudes behind us if they minded just going straight (they didn't mind). This ride was like being inside a dryer. It spun us every which-a-way at 60 mph! Not only did the plan spin in all directions, it was connected to this giant pole that spun clockwise at the same time! At the end of the ride one of my braids exploded out! I was certain my elastic had fallen into the lake that was right below us but when we got off it was right inside my jacket. So lucky!

The next ride we went on looked super cheesy but it wound up making us totally ill. It was called The Dragon and all it did was swing you back and forth but it made me and Melissa super duper nauseous. We had to sit down for like an hour after that one and felt like such little babies. While we were taking a break Melissa stopped for a cup of mint tea. I'd only every had peppermint tea, which I wasn't crazy about but she gave me a little sip of hers and it was so DELICIOUS. It was loose leaf tea served in these adorable clay tea pots. I usually don't put sugar in my tea and as a result, I've never been much of a tea drinker. However, after tasting Melissa's that had brown sugar in it, I will from now on take sugar in my tea. It was a little chilly that day so it was so nice to sit on these furry blankets they had outside and sip hot minty tea. I had my blueberry Luna bar that I'd stashed in my purse as well so I felt refreshed after our little break.

We walked around the gardens for a bit while our tummies settled then we went on this cute little boat ride. These little boats were kind of difficult to steer so we unintentionally kept crashing into other boats (oops!) but it was fun. After that we just walked around some more and took a buttload of flower pictures. Tivoli had tons of exotic flowers everywhere that I never thought I would see in real life. They also had a male peacock in the park that kept squawking at everyone. He was cute as heck but suuuuper loud. I think the next ride we went on was the Star Flyer. I had forgotten that I still had a button on my jacket from the Harry Potter tour so when it was our turn to get onto the swings the guy running the ride kept asking me if I was Harry Potter and if I had a wand hidden in my jacket. It was super cutez. I wish we could've gotten a picture of us on the swings since the Star Flyer is one of Tivoli's most popular attractions. Bummer. By this point it was close to six o'clock and we were pretty starving so we went on the Demon one last time then we went to this place, Wagamama, for dinner. Melissa had been to Wagamama's before so she was able to vouch for the food. When we walked into the restaurant they asked us if we spoke Danish, when we said "no" they stamped our hands so the wait staff would know we only spoke English. We thought that was pretty weird/funny. I ordered some kind of tofu dish which wound up tasting like tofu in spaghetti. It was really good but not what you'd expect from an Asian restaurant.

On our way back home we stopped at Paradis ice cream shop since it was literally right on our walk home. I got an oreo milkshake that was very good. We again slept like babies that night which was good since the next day we would be riding bikes again ALL DAY.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment