Saturday, June 1, 2013

Barrels out of Bond

Today I went on an ADVENTURE! 

For the first time in nearly 20 years I tubed the Salt River with all me mates and it was great fun! The last time I went I was 9 or 10 and I remember it being very frightening; I was always the one who would float away or end up in the reeds. But I had this Saturday off from work and I figured it might be cool to do something that I don't normally do. I asked my dad for some ideas of stuff we might do and he suggested tubing. I wasn't sure if my friends would be interested but I asked anyway and everyone was super stoked! 

So we all met up this morning and after packing up the cooler and applying waaaay more sunscreen than was necessary, we were on our way! When we got there we couldn't believe how many people were there. It had to have been THOUSANDS. The shuttle over to the river was pretty intense too! The speed limit kept shifting between 35-40mph but it felt like our driver was going at least 60mph and when you're not buckled in and going up hills and around corners that feels hella fast! Good grief!

Jackie had had the good sense to bring rope to tie all of our tubes together, if she hadn't one of us would've floated away for sure (and it most likely would've been me). We put the cooler in between all of us for easy snack access and also to make sure it didn't flip over or anything. The water was cold but since it was hot as ballz outside we didn't mind. At the first rough patch of water, Michelle fell out of her tube! Poor thing! There was kind of a pile up at that spot and people were falling out right and left and the girl ahead of her thought she was her friend and said, "Don't worry! I'll save you!" then when she realized Michelle wasn't her friend she was like, "Wait! I don't know you!" It was funny ^___^

For the most part the river was pretty smooth and relaxing and there were lots of laughs had. However, it did get pretty rough again and we floated over to the edge of the river and had to dodge a bunch of tree branches. I almost got sucked under water at one point and being the drama queen that I am, I kept yelling, "WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIE!" But luckily, none of us did. I think Michelle and Maddie fell out of their tubes a few more times but nobody drowned, which is good. We heard quite a lot of funny comments from fellow tubers throughout the journey but my personal favorites were:

"That rock just poked me in my butthole!"

and

"Hand jobs aren't really that great."

and

"One time I fell asleep tubing and woke up at an Indian reservation and there were lesbians everywhere."

Suffice to say, tubing attracts an interesting array of people. I saw way more skin than I cared to see and some of the world's worst tattoos too. But we had a blast and will most likely be making another trip to the river sometime later this summer. Here's a commemorative photo! Oh, and amazingly, no one got sun burned! Cheers!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment