Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Iggy and Tumblr

Just a quick little update.

I don't really know what's happening but in the past month, interest in my work on Tumblr has skyrocketed! My work has been featured on the site several times recently either under "gaming" or "crafts" and that has drawn a lot more attention to my art. Normally I have a few sales every month but since this rapid surge in popularity on Tumblr I've had several sales in just the past few days! When I post a new embroidery on Tumblr I include a link to my Etsy store so that has brought in a ton of new shoppers. I haven't had this many views on Etsy since I first opened it. It's pretty awesome!

I posted this sloth hoop yesterday morning and in 24 hours it got nearly 3,000 notes (a note is when someone "likes" your post or reposts it to their blog). And on top of that I've gotten nearly 100 new followers in 3 days (and some of these folks are artists who I admire myself). As an artist, you're always waiting for your art to start making waves and for people to start talking about it. It would be the bees knees if this was the beginning of my career taking off. I've worked really hard the past few years and struggled financially (and mentally). I really hope that my audience will continue to grow this year. I sincerely believe that my purpose in life is to make art that brings happiness to others and so far it looks like I've been successful in fulfilling that purpose. I've gotten so many messages from people telling me how much they enjoy my work and that really makes me happy. I don't expect to get rich off of my artwork but being able to just live comfortably without having to work a crummy day job would be a dream come true.

Anyway, back to Tumblr! After posting this Psyduck, it sold in about 3 days. This was a duplicate of a hoop I made last year. The first hoop took about 6 months to sell so being featured in Tumblr's "gaming" section really sped up the process. I already had so much love for Tumblr and now I wish I could give it all the hugs it deserves. I've been using Tumblr for 2 years now and it's becoming my Happy Place. Whenever I'm feeling shitty, I just go on there and before I know it I'm laughing like a crazy person. There's just so much good stuff to share and so many cool people too. So, thank you Tumblr and everyone who's either "liked" or "reblogged" my work! It really means a lot! 

Your friend,
Iggy 
www.iggystarpup.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment