Saturday, May 18, 2013

"I am no ordinary woman. My dreams come true."

Today I spent the day with my friend Hannah. First we made the rounds at Goodwill since it was half off Saturday. I love that in Arizona all Goodwill stores have half off day--on EVERYTHING-- every other Saturday. Washington only had half off on certain color tags (and nothing I ever wanted had the sale color). I didn't have too big of a haul this time but I got some good stuff. My favorites are probably a hot pink t-shirt with a tiger on it and some overalls. I'd been wanting a pair of overalls for a while so I'm excited to have finally found some. 

After thrifting we had lunch at Pei Wei (I love me some Pei Wei) and talked about boys and stuff. I needed some more soft pastels so we popped in Arizona Art Supply on the way back to her place. Since it was still early in the afternoon by that point we decided to go see a movie. We decided on "The Great Gatsby" at Picture Show since they have movies for $5.50 with a student ID (I will continue to use my ASU ID for as long as I possibly can). 

The movie was just okay for me. The novel is one of my favorites so I'm a bit of a tough critic. I will say that I loved the original film adaption with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow but this version was just "meh". The style was weird, the music wasn't my cup of tea and I honestly wasn't impressed by any of the performances. I normally adore Carrie Mulligan but her Daisy just felt like a weak attempt to copy Mia Farrow's portrayal of the character. I also didn't like the accent that Leonardo DiCaprio decided to use for Gatsby; it was weird and made his Gatsby less likeable and charming. I will admit that the first time I read the book the ending made me bawl like a baby but seeing it in this film I was just like, "Eh, whatever." I didn't feel emotionally attached to any of the characters in this film. Bummer.

Anyway, it was still a good day. 

What else has Ms. Doom been up to lately? Well, I've been working a lot lately. Both on my art and at my job. I started back at my old job this past week and it was weird how once I was there it didn't feel like any time had gone by at all. I remembered everything almost instantly and it was as if I'd never left. I've been working on a self portrait lately as well and it's coming along pretty well. I hope to be done with it within the next few days. When I'm not drawing I'm working on an embroidery. Here's my newest works:

 Let's see...anything else? Oh! I've also recently gotten addicted to "Game of Thrones". The first time I saw it I did not care for it all; I didn't like the violence against women and I couldn't keep track of all of the crazy names of characters. But I was in need of a new show and so many of my friends talk about it on a regular basis that I thought I'd give it another try. I watched one episode...then another and another. By the fourth episode I was like, "AHHH! SO MUCH DRAMA! I HATE EVERYONE ON THIS SHOW BUT I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" I finished the first season two days ago and now am on pins and needles waiting to watch season two at my friend's house.
Welp, I guess that's all for now. Mama is pretty tired and might tuck in early tonight. I hope you all have an enjoyable rest of your weekend. 

Nighty Night!

2 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaah that pug is so cute!! :)
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete