Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lord of the Pugs

Today was a pretty good day. I went to a Lord of the Rings party, get together...thing. My friends are in a Lord of the Rings bookclub (I opted not to partake in this bookclub since I just finished reading LOTR for the second time last year and I'm in the Harry Potter bookclub at the moment) and they recently finished reading "Fellowship of the Ring" so today they were watching the film. Since I never pass up an opportunity to watch any of the LOTR movies, naturally I joined them. 

Most of us are huge Tolkien geeks and know the books and films inside out so it sort of became a battle of who knew the most facts/trivia about the movie. I've watched almost every special feature and documentary and read almost every article in existence about LOTR so it's pretty rare to hear any anecdotes that I haven't already heard but every now and then I'll hear something new and get super excited.

I finished my Bag End drawing yesterday and brought it along to show everyone. It got pretty good reviews from the ladies and I even got requests for prints as soon as I have it photographed. I'll post photos here as soon as I can get my photographer friend to take some. I'm very lucky to have a friend who is a very talented photographer and doesn't charge me to take pictures of my work. Very lucky, indeed.

Yesterday I also finished "reading" the sixth Harry Potter book. The reason I say "reading" is because I've been listening to the books on CD. Jim Dale, who reads all of the Harry Potter books, is absolutely fantastic. He's often called "The Man of a Thousand Voices" since he does a different voice for every single character. Listening to the Harry Potter books is a completely different Potter experience that I highly recommend. They're sooooo entertaining; it's like a radio drama. I think I listened to "Half Blood Prince" in 2 days. I just couldn't stop listening to it and now that I'm finished...I'm ready to listen to it again! And again and again and again and again! Do yourself a favor, go to the library and check out book 1 on CD and you'll get hooked too. I used to be really against audiobooks. I was like, "Jeeezzz too lazy to read a book, eh?" but now I know why they're so popular. Here's some benefits: A) they're entertaining B) no eyestrain from reading C) You can multitask while you listen to them! Being an artist, this benefits me greatly since I can work and read simultaneously.

In other news, I had a bit of boy drama a few days ago. I wrote about 2 months ago about how I had dated a boy for a few weeks just to have it fizzle as quickly as it had started. Well, a few days ago I went to a show at said boy's house to see my friend perform (they're roomies) and I was hoping that there would be a large enough crowd there that I might go unnoticed. No such luck. Not only were there only about 20 people at this show, this boy was there with the girl he had two-timed me with!!! It was kind of a nightmare. She obviously had no idea who I was but I knew her the moment I saw her. Since I had only gone on a few dates with this person and wasn't really mad about the situation anymore I was okay with being cordial if he were to say hello to me. 

He didn't.

In fact, he didn't even acknowledge my existence the entire night! It was so awkward and weird. He walked inches in front of me many times and looked at the floor to avoid making eye contact with me. I was flabbergasted (I never get to use that word). This dude was acting like I was the one who had burned him! It was ridiculous. And on top of that, I really didn't know anyone there except the host who was busy trying to socialize with everyone so I was alone a lot having to watch this girl hang all over this boy in my peripheral vision. I had no idea boys could be so dramatic and childish (God, where have I been?).

So the moral of this story is that boys are stupid and pugs are better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment